Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Nanjing pictoral: trains, incense, mountains and massacres

Sometimes with my job I feel like I'm having the boarding school experience I never had when I was actually in high school. We spend the majority of our lives in the same place, 95% of my social interactions outside the office involve at least two or more work friends and if I organize any gathering without inviting the whole "gang" someone gets inevitably upset and sends passive aggressive texts/emails to me for the next week. How old are we again?

Two weekends ago, a herd of my work friends and I took a train trip up to Nanjing for the Tomb Sweeping Holidays. We didn't sweep any tombs but we did burn incense at a temple where buddahs were carved into the rock face, hiked up a mountain to see Sun Yat Sen's mausoleum and the Ming Tombs, and visited to the Nanjing massacre museum so I suppose we paid our respects to the dead in one form or another.


Nanjing train station


In this week's episode of "Super Tourist"...


Sun Yat Sen mausoleum. All the people here are secretly wondering, "We waited in line for half an hour for this??"


Qixia Temple grottos




View from the top



Paying respects

No comments:

Post a Comment