Monday, January 7, 2013

THE DENGUE FILES - Christmas at the Hospital

Read Part Three Here

FRIDAY-MONDAY
The dads came in on Friday and for the first time in 72 hours, I was able to go home where I found a very lonely cat and a very messy apartment. Everything in a state of half organization, which is to say everything was a total disaster. On Sunday a troupe of friends came over to help me decide what to keep and what to throw away. It was a real life version of Hoarders but minus the mouse feces and plus a lot of mini food erasers.  

By the time the movers came on Monday, I was already picking out items in the Throw Away pile and moving them to the Keep pile now that my friends from Sunday, i.e. voices of reason, were not there to stop me and the friend who had come to help me was very lovely and enabling. Look out 2013 - Hoarders: NYC Edition!

By Monday, Alex’s oxygen had been reduced and he downgraded from oxygen mask to breathing tube.  His platelet count was back to normal as were his kidneys.  He wanted to “neaten up” his beard in bed. As I stood there holding a water basin for him like a butler as he carefully shaved, it struck me that the sheer vanity of the request was really the true indicator of him feeling better.  The thought was an uplifting one for a multitude of reasons including the realization that I probably didn’t need to be so cheery all the time anymore.  All that niceness was wearing me out.   

CHRISTMAS
Christmas Day was spent in a 5-hour ordeal at Bank of China, which involved 3 trips back to my apartment to retrieve various official documents.   Lesson learned – never, never, never misplace your bank booklet right before you plan to leave China forever.  At one point, I asked the teller why he needed my work permit when he already had two passports to which he answered, “There are too many people who look alike so we have to be sure.” 

Even to Chinese people, Chinese people all look the same.  

That evening I rushed to my favorite chicken woman on Wulumuqi Lu – the one on the corner near Fuxing where she dunks whole roasted chickens into vat of sizzling oil - pure deliciousness for only RMB30 and my dad rushed home and made the Ouyang Christmas favorites – Chinese food. With both in tow, we rushed back to the hospital in time for a Christmas dinner.

Alex’s x-rays had come back much better and his vitals were stable. That night, my dad, Alex’s dad and I sat around Alex’s bed ate our holiday meal with paper plates and plastic utensils.  It was a weird and sentimental at the same time.  

Dengue Fever - bringing people together for the holidays.

1 comment: